- Join us
Next Session (22nd February (2:30pm)):
- Chair: Bo Peng
- Speaker: Elis Roberts
- W. A. Benalcazar, J. C. Y. Teo, and T. L. Hughes - Classification of two-dimensional topological crystalline superconductors and Majorana bound states at disclinations Phys. Rev. B 89, 224503 (2014)
List of Subscribers:
- E. Roberts (22nd Feb)
- N. Forcellini (8th March)
- S. Dutta (22nd March)
- C. Parmee
- C. Wanjura
- S. Spurrier
- J. Whaley-Baldwin
- R.R. Griffiths
- R. Goodall
- A. Harper
- P. Santak
- S. Chen
- M. Hutcheon
- P. Zapletal
- Y. Zhang
- I. Bravic
- T. Schaich
- J. Behrends
- V. Jouffrey
- P. Verpoort
- E. Rodriguez-Chiacchio
- M. Brunelli
- K. Macieszczak
- D. Foo
- A. Szabo
- M. McGinley
- B. Remez
- B. Bermond
- A. Pizzi
- B. Peng
The Journal Club provides an informal environment to practice presenting scientific material, a platform for discussion, as well as exposure to a broader background in physics. Everyone is welcome to attend, but if you are interested in giving a talk please let us know (by emailing mm2025 @ cam.ac.uk).
Talks should present the key results of a seminal paper chosen by the presenter, over a maximum of 50 minutes with at least 10 minutes for discussion. Whilst there are no restrictions on the publication date or subject matter of the paper, we encourage presenters to choose material which has proved to be influential for a wide section of the theoretical condensed matter community. The presentation itself need not follow the same structure as the original paper, and more modern pedagogical approaches to the same result can be adopted. Blackboard presentations are preferred.
The next speaker and their chosen paper will be announced via the mailing list and will be shown to the right. Subscribers will be listed to the right in the order they will present. Each session is chaired by the previous speaker, the role of whom is to introduce the speaker and lead the discussion. Members are generally expected to have read the paper and the chair is expected to read in enough detail to lead the discussion.
2018 - 2019
- Bo Peng A. I. Larkin and D. E. Khmelnitskii - Layered Structure in Ferroelectric Photoconductors Zh. Eksp. Theor. Fiz. 55, 2345 (1968).
- Andrea Pizzi Anatoli Polkovnikov - Quantum corrections to the dynamics of interacting bosons: Beyond the truncated Wigner approximation Phys Rev A 68 053604 (2003).
- Baptiste Bermond Local simulation algorithms for Coulomb interactions - A. C. Maggs, V. Rossetto Phys Rev Lett 88 196402 (2002).
- Benji Remez Excitonic Insulator - Jerome, Rice, and Kohn Phys. Rev 158 462 (1967).
- Max McGinley Periodic table of topological insulators and superconductors - A. Kitaev AIP Conference Proceedings 1134, 22 (2009)..
- Attila Szabo Quantum spin liquids: entanglement, gauge theories, and exotic quasiparticles Rep. Prog. Phys. 80, 016502 (2017).
- Daryll Foo `Contribution to the theory of superfluidity in an imperfect Fermi gas' - L.P. Gorkov and T.K. Melik-Barkhudarov JETP 13, 5 1018 (1960) 2017 - 2018
- Adam Smith String-net condensation: A physical mechanism for topological phases M. Levin and X.-G. Wen, Phys. Rev. B 71, 045110 (2005)
- Kasia Macieszczak The fluctuation-dissipation theorem [R. Kubo, Rep. Prog. Phys. 29 (1966)]
- Ezequiel Rodriguez-Chiacchio Symmetries and conserved quantities in Lindblad master equations [V. Albert and L. Jiang, PRA 89 (2014)]
- Philipp Verpoort 'On spin-orbit induced spin relaxation in conduction electrons' [Yafet, Solid State Physics 14 (1963)]
- Victor Jouffrey (20th April): Fabian Grusdt, Eugene Demler - New theoretical approaches to Bose polarons [arXiv:1510.04934 (2015)]
- Petr Zapletal (6th April): Florian Marquardt et. al. - Quantum Theory of Cavity-Assisted Sideband Cooling of Mechanical Motion [Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 093902 (2007)]
- Angela Harper (23rd March): Laser Printed Organic Electronics (APS prize talk). Original paper [Adv. Mat. Tech. 2, 11 (2017)]
- Chris Parmee (23rd February): Michael Wortis -- Bound States of Two Spin Waves in the Heisenberg Ferromagnet Phys. Rev. 132, 85 (1963)
- Stephen Spurrier (9th February): D. Xiao, M.-C. Chang, and Q. Niu -- Berry phase effects on electronic properties Rev. Mod. Phys. 82, 1959 (2010)
- Max McGinley (26th January): H. Li and F.D.M. Haldane - Entanglement Spectrum as a Generalization of Entanglement Entropy: Identification of Topological Order in Non-Abelian Fractional Quantum Hall Effect States Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 010504
- Bart Andrews (15th December): A. Kubica et. al. - Three-dimensional color code thresholds via statistical-mechanical mapping arXiv:1708.07131
- Chris Parmee (1st December): J. M. Kosterlitz and D. J. Thouless - Ordering, metastability and phase transitions in two-dimensional systems. J. Phys. C: Solid St. Phys. 6, 1181 (1973)
- Tycho Sikkenk (17th November): Renormalization Group Wilson-Fischer fixed point
- Garry Goldstein (3rd November): Fractional quantum Hall systems. See books by X.-G. Wen, E. Fradkin and N. Nagaoso
- Daniel Malz (20th October): On Landauer's Formula. See the canonical paper here. See also the introduction and sections 1.1-1.3 of "Quantum Transport" by Nazarov and Blanter found here.
- Nicolo Forcellini (6th October): E. Runge and E. K. U. Gross - Density-Functional Theory for Time-Dependent Systems. Phys. Rev. Lett. 52, 997 (1984)
2016 - 2017
- Adam Smith (9th June): L. V. Keldysh - Diagram Technique for Nonequilibrium Processes. Sov. Phys. JTEP 20, 4, 1018 (1965)
- Ezequiel Rodriguez-Chiacchio (2nd June): D. Jaksch, C. Bruder, J. I. Cirac, C. W. Gardiner, and P. Zoller - Cold Bosonic Atoms in Optical Lattices. Phys. Rev. Lett. 81, 3108 (1998)
- Philipp Verpoort (26th May): Shuang Jia, Su-Yang Xu & M. Zahid Hasan - Weyl semimetals, Fermi arcs and chiral anomalies. Nature Materials 15, 1140–1144 (2016)
- Yu Yang Fredrik Liu (19th May): C. L. Kane and E. J. Mele - Z2 Topological Order and the Quantum Spin Hall Effect. Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 146802 (2005)
- Stephen Spurrier (12th May): Douglas R. Hofstadter - Energy levels and wave functions of Bloch electrons in rational and irrational magnetic fields. Phys. Rev. B 14, 2239 (1976)
- Chris Parmee (5th May): M. Srednicki - Chaos and quantum thermalization. Phys. Rev. E 50, 888 (1994)
- Bart Andrews (28th April): D. J. Thouless, M. Kohmoto, M. P. Nightingale, and M. den Nijs - Quantized Hall Conductance in a Two-Dimensional Periodic Potential. Phys. Rev. Lett. 49, 405 (1982)
- Garry Goldstein (21st April): See chapter 17 - Heavy electrons (sections 17.3, 17.5, 17.6) of Piers Coleman - Introduction to Many-Body Physics
- Beñat Mencia (7th April): A. A. Abrikosov - On the Magnetic Properties of Superconductors of the Second Group. Sov. Phys. JETP 5, 6 1174 (1957)
- Daniel Malz (31st March): J. H. Shirley - Solution of the Schrödinger equation with a Hamiltonian periodic in time. Phys. Rev. 138, B979 (1965)
- Nicolo Forcellini (10th March): P. W. Anderson - Localized magnetic states in metals. Phys. Rev. 124, 41 (1961)
- Adam Smith (3rd March): S. R. White - Density matrix formulation for quantum renormalization groups. Phys. Rev. Lett. 69, 2863 (1992)
- Ezequiel Rodriguez-Chiacchio (24th February): R. H. Dicke - Coherence in Spontaneous Radiation Processes. Phys. Rev. 93, 99 (1954)
- Phillip Verpoort (17th February): J. Kondo - Resistance minimum in dilute magnetic alloys. Prog. Theor. Phys. 32, 1 (1964)